Do you know that mothballs contain these two substance: naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene?
I googled these two substances, and I found some interesting information:
This is what it said about napthalene:
Exposure to large amounts of naphthalene may damage or destroy red blood cells. Humans, in particular children, have developed this condition, known as hemolytic anemia, after ingesting mothballs or deodorant blocks containing naphthalene. Symptoms include fatigue, lack of appetite, restlessness, and pale skin. Exposure to large amounts of naphthalene may cause confusion, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the urine, and jaundice (yellow coloration of the skin). (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene)
And this is what I found about paradichlorobenzene:
The World Health Organization (WHO) considered paradichlorobenzene possibly carcinogenic to humans based on studies with mice. The way paradichlorobenzene caused cancer in mice could possibly occur in humans as well. The U.S. EPA has classified it as “not likely to be carcinogenic to humans”. (source: http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PDBgen.html#whatis)
Scary stuff if you ask me. So what are the alternatives? I personally like my clothes and cupboards to smell nice without all the toxic stuff. I much prefer these natural oils from Young Living.
You could use any of these oils and drip a few drops onto cotton wool and stuff them in your cupboards.
Let me know if you think of any other Young Living Essential Oils you would recommend for this. Have fun! email@example.com